Appointment of New Board Directors
Invitation for Applications from Academicians
The Academy has three places on its Board to fill, following the retirement of three of our long-standing Directors. As well as refreshing and enhancing our capabilities, we also want to broaden the diversity of the Board with regards to age, gender, ethnicity, profession and geographical location.
Board appointments are unpaid roles for a three-year term, which may be renewable up to three times.
We wish to appoint people with:
- A sound understanding of urbanism, gained from experience in practice or research;
- Leadership experience, including strategic thinking and decision-making at Board-level
- A willingness and capacity to take on specific board responsibilities and commitment to following them through;
- A constructive and inclusive approach to tackling issues;
- Enthusiasm and capacity to actively promote the Academy’s mission of Learning from Place through regular attendance at quarterly Board meetings and key AoU events and involvement in developing key projects.
Through this process we are specifically seeking people who can augment the capacity of present Directors in:
- Strengthening our partnerships and sponsor relations;
- Engaging the promoter/developer/investor sector of urbanism in the work of the Academy;
- Developing our membership strategy, standards and monitoring;
- Increasing our engagement in external affairs and responding to the initiatives of others.
We invite applications from any existing Academician, seconded by at least one other. Your application should summarise:
- Your career track record;
- Your aspirations for the Academy;
- The skills and expertise you would bring to the Board.
Overall these application submissions should be no longer than two sides of A4. We will establish an Appointments Panel and shortlist and interview candidates in December with commencement anticipated from the Board Meeting on 25 January 2017.
At present all Directors fund their own expenses (travel and accommodation if required) in attending Board meetings and events, although Directors are offered free places at events and Congress in recognition of their time commitment to the Academy.
The closing deadline for nominations is 12 noon on Friday 9 December. They should be made by email to Linda Gledstone, Director of Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org, clearly marked ‘AoU Director Application’.
Should you wish to discuss the roles further, please either speak to a Board member or email me at email@example.com.
We appreciate your continued interest and value your support for the Academy.
Steven Bee AoU