A high-level, broad and diverse international community of over 550 leaders, thinkers and practitioners engaged in the social, cultural, economic, political and physical development of our villages, towns and cities.
Academicians represent the myriad professions, interests and roles that comprise urbanism and which play an important role in securing the long-term success of places, including planning and design, community and cultural development, engineering and property, policy and politics, academia, media and the arts.
“The Academy is a driving force for bringing together everyone concerned and engaged with spaces and places. Exchanging insights and knowledge between professional practitioners, academics, communities and policy-makers is essential to ensure we live in flourishing environments. The Academy of Urbanism is an inspiring network that influences our collective ability to create and nurture great places.”
Prof Rachel Cooper OBE AoU, Academician and Distinguished Professor of Design Management and Policy, Lancaster University
Their collective individual experience of and commitment to making, shaping and managing thriving, positive places provides a rich resource from which the Academy draws learning and forms our position on urbanism.
Academicians actively contribute to the mission of the Academy by instigating events, leading thematic working groups, nominating and assessing places for the Urbanism Awards, participating in Diagnostic Visits, writing for the Journal, contributing to the Academy’s Annual Congress and representing the Academy at other events. In return, the Academy offers a forum through which Academicians can explore new ideas, challenge established orthodoxy, run innovative projects and partner with like-minded individuals.
It is the place for place; a place in which to immerse yourself in the messy, exciting and complex world of urbanism.
Benefits of Joining
- Access to informal networking forums of over 550 Academicians and 230 Young Urbanists from the UK, Ireland, Europe and abroad
- Instigate or engage with regional committees
- Nominate new Academicians
- Monthly newsletter with information on events and activities
- Contribute to the AoU Journal, Here & Now
- Discounts on selected publications
- Use of the ‘AoU’ post-nominal
- Discounted or free access to major AoU events (ie. Annual Congress, Awards Ceremony)
- Participate in Urban Awards Assessment Visits
- Voting in the Urbanism Awards
- Opportunity to host events
- The opportunity to be published in AoU literature
- Opportunity to mentor Young Urbanists
- Participate in Diagnostic Visits
How to Join
Academicians are selected on the basis of their contribution to the making and shaping of places through a variety of professional and personal means. Joining the Academy means engaging with a diverse network of individuals who are committed to promoting and sharing the lessons learned from good urbanism. Potential Academicians can either:
- apply for membership
- be nominated by an existing Academician
This process helps us ensure that the network remains both credible and active. Academician membership costs £252 per annum (inc. VAT). If you are interested in joining the Academy as an Academician you can apply via the button below. If you are an existing Academician and would like to make a nomination please fill out the application via the button below.
For more information please contact the AoU team on either +44 (0) 20 7251 8777 or email@example.com.