Identifying, promoting and learning from great places
The Urbanism Awards are the Academy’s primary platform for recognising the best, most enduring or most improved urban environments. We have visited, assessed and celebrated outstanding examples of good urbanism across the UK, Ireland and Europe. As well as providing a means to build relationships with places that are doing good work, the Awards help us to build a strong evidence base for high quality, innovative and sustainable urbanism, which we share online, in print and at events.
In the 14 years that the Academy has been producing the Urbanism Awards, we have celebrated 210 Great Places.
During each assessment visit we look at the following areas
1. Leadership and Governance: Is the Finalist well managed, inclusive, fair?
2. Local Character: To what extent does the Finalist provide a distinctive sense of place, identity and cultural resonance?
3. Amenity: To what extent is the Finalist an attractive, safe and enticing place for people to live, work, play, visit and enjoy?
4. Commercial Success & Viability: To what extent does the Finalist provide a conducive environment for wealth creation and distribution and is it able to support the maintenance and improvement of its urban environment?
5. Environmental Sustainability: To what extent does the Finalist exhibit and promote environmental sustainability?
6. Community, Health and Wellbeing: To what extent does the Finalist exhibit and promote civic behaviour, social cohesion, health and wellbeing?
7. Connectivity: To what extent does the Finalist provide transport and access options to an appropriate range of urban services?
For more information about The Urbanism Awards and for press enquiries, please contact Linda Gledstone on +44 (0) 20 7251 8777 or email.