- This event has passed.
YU Event / International Urbanism Studio
January 31, 2017 @ 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm
On Tuesday 31 January 2017, The Prince’s Foundation for Building Community will host an event titled the ‘International Urbanism Studio’, which brings together Young Urbanists to share their experiences in both research and practice outside of the UK.
This event builds on a previous well-received event of the same name hosted by AECOM in February 2015, from which a write-up is available that you can find here on the Academy website.
The theme for this upcoming event will be Rapid Urbanisation and looks to draw upon a broad coverage of world regions – as well as different built environment sectors. By learning from others global experience, we will look to raise some important questions such as:
- When considering Rapid Urbanisation, what are some of the challenges faced when working internationally?
- What are some of the most pressing issues presented by Rapid Urbanisation today?
- What are some of the responses to Rapid Urbanisation that are being applied?
- What responses to Rapid Urbanisation are universal, and what are site specific?
- And lastly, what can UK practitioners bring to the context of international projects?
Confirmed speakers include:
- Welcome from Tom Perry, International Programme Manager at The Prince’s Foundation
- Chaired by Aaron Davis YU, Planning and Design Project Manager at The Prince’s Foundation
- “Building peace through planning: a spatial vision for the Gaza Governorates” from Roland Chanin-Morris YU, Strategic Planning and Design Consultant at AECOM
- “The value of international cooperation networks – Building a strategic support activity for collaborative urban design (from Canada, Syria, Ghana to China)” from Dr Amer Aware YU, KTP Research Associate at The Bartlett Real Estate Institute, UCL
- “Roads to Nowhere: Sprawling cities in the middle East and how strategic planning can help steering development towards a more sustainable urban model” from Giacomo Magnani YU, Consultant at BuroHappold Cities
- “Key Issues within the UK Planning System: Importance of Sharing International Practice” from Viral Desai, Senior Planner at Barton Willmore and Young Planners Coordinator at Commonwealth Association of Planners
- Pepe Monroy YU, Consultant of Urban Development at ICF
- Eleri Jones, Associate for Urban Policy and Foresight at Space Syntax
Programme for the evening will be as follows, and we do hope you can join us!
18.45 Welcome from Bright Pryde-Saha, The Academy of Urbanism
18.50 Welcome by Tom Perry, The Prince’s Foundation
19.00 Quick-fire presentations from our panel
- Roland Chanin-Morris, AECOM
- Giacomo Magnani, BuroHappold
- Dr Amer Alwarea, UCL
- Pepe Monroy, ICF
- Viral Desai, Atkins
19.50 Concluding Speech by Eleri Jones, Space Syntax
20.00 Question and Answer Period, Chaired by Aaron Davis, The Prince’s Foundation
20.30 Drinks / Snacks Reception