- This event has passed.
Learning from Marseille
July 3, 2014 @ 08:00 - July 4, 2014 @ 17:00 BSTTBC
3-4 July 2014 (arriving on Wednesday 2 July)
The ticket cost will be published once the itinerary is confirmed, and will be in the region of £100. We are also reviewing appropriate accommodation.
The Academy is delighted to have been invited by the City of Marseille to visit and share lessons on their decade of transformation.
Representatives from the Academy and Marseille have put together a full programme to explore their approach to regeneration and tackling multiple problems of high unemployment, crime, the changing nature of the port (now moved outside the city to accommodate larger boats), and in particular, some of the huge challenges they face with outmoded housing schemes.
The tour will include:
- Meeting with representatives from SOLEAM and MRU for visits to Urban Renewal and ‘Operation Grand City Center’
- Tour of the Euro-Mediterranee
- Visit to Notre Dame de La Garde, and its stunning view of all Marseille below
- Exploring the old town, Le Panier, Belsunce and Noailles
- MuCEM and the new terraces by the port
- A reception to meet newly elected politicians and our hosts
The programme will also offer the opportunity for some optional extras, according to demand, including:
- Museum of the History of Marseille
- Radiant City (Le Corbusier)
- a trip to see the natural splendour of the Calanques (for those whom time permits)
- Assisting Marseille’s development
The team in Marseille is also keen to utilise Academicians’ experience during the visit to assist in their discussions for the disused barracks of the Belle de Mai.
Preview – Wednesday 2 July 2014
On the afternoon prior to the visit, Argent will be giving a presentation to the City of Marseille on Kings Cross Central. All are welcome to join.
There are several flight options including BA from Heathrow, Easyjet from Gatwick and Ryanair from Stansted. There is a regular bus which goes from the airport to the main rail station. If you are able to stay on, you may also consider exploring the region and flights to Toulon, Avignon or Nimes. There is also the very fast train service by TGV to Marseille.
This visit is a fantastic opportunity to learn from a city that has undergone huge transformation in recent years. Please contact Linda Gledstone to book your place by emailing [email protected]
Limited number of places available – please express your interest to Linda Gledstone by emailing [email protected]
|Academicians – £100+VAT:||Buy Now|
|Non-Academicians – £120+VAT:||Buy Now|