- This event has passed.
Event / Cycle City Active City: building activity into everyday life
June 25, 2015 @ 09:30 - June 26, 2015 @ 17:00 BST
Cycle City Active City on June 25 and 26, 2015, is Europe’s key conference and exhibition for all those working to encourage active and healthy urban lifestyles. This year, it will explore how place-makers, designers and planners can maximise their key contribution to a shared agenda for active living strategies.
Good places can help save lives and money: Our urban realm, residential, employment and leisure places need to support healthy, active choices on a daily basis. Good design can play a crucial role in encouraging active travel, play and sport, in promoting access to green spaces, improving air quality and, crucially, providing a robust framework for healthy spatial planning that supports better public health.
Supported this year by Newcastle City Council, Cycle City Active City is a key contributor to Newcastle’s Active City agenda and features a host of free events alongside the conference including:
- the opening of Newcastle’s Active Travel Centre with Chris Boardman
- the launch of the Active Travel Network and Gala dinner & dance
- a series of free workshops on creating active places, safety, measuring mode choices, developing walking and cycling, and place, health and age
- a breakfast briefing on designing-in physical activity
- free e-bike demos and tours, plus Newcastle cycle tours
- community Placecheck with feedback sessions, and much more
The full programme is available online here.
Recognising the key role that urbanists need to play, the Academy of Urbanism is pleased to offer its network a 50% discount when booking at Cycle City Active City. Simply enter the Promocode PLACECCAC when booking online