- This event has passed.
Supported Event / 2016 China-UK Ideal Town and Garden City Summit
April 26, 2016 @ 09:30 - 17:00 BST
China’s national policies now promote the development of small towns in response to huge issues of congestion, pollution and lack of facilities in large Chinese cities. China Design Centre is bringing 33 Chinese representatives to the China-UK Ideal Town and Garden City Summit to exchange ideas with UK urban specialists about sustainable, liveable and thriving towns. The event is focussed around town-making debates and will appeal to UK architects, masterplanners, urbanists, environmentalists and engineers who want to discuss ideas with the visiting delegates from a top Chinese developer on the ingredients of an ideal town and who are interested to find out more about the issue in China.
The Summit will debate new Garden City ideas and will look at best practice for eco-towns, market towns, community engagement, creative quarter and elderly living in the town as well as town centre design and management. It will show how UK’s experience and lessons can be beneficial to current thinking on town making in China. The summit will also introduce examples of new Chinese towns and compare them to similar projects in Europe and the UK.
UK contributors include Letchworth Garden City Heritage Foundation, URBED, John Thompson & Partners, ADAM Architecture, Farrells, Hawkins\Brown, Studio REAL, and Penoyre & Prasad.
The event is supported by Shanghai City of Design Promotion Centre London Base, The Academy of Urbanism, The Building Centre and China Greentown Group.
An exhibition showcasing exemplar case studies of new Chinese towns and UK towns will be held at the China Design Centre Gallery from 21st April to the 30th April.
- ‘Creating Garden Cities of today – An overview of principles and policy’, Katy Lock, Garden Cities and New Towns Expert and Advocate, TCPA
- ‘The pursuit of ideal town making in China‘––Mi Liu, Deputy Director Of Research & Development Department, Greentown Real Estate Group CO., LTD
- ‘The First Garden City–Letchworth Garden City: a sustainable development and management model’ —-David Ames, Director, Letchworth Garden City Heritage Foundation
- ‘Growing garden cities for the 21st century—-Dr. Nicolas Falk, Director, URBED, Visiting Professor, University of the West of England
- ‘Building towns with communities: the cases of Scarborough, Changzhi Island and Liangzhu New Town’ —-John Thompson, Honorary Chairman, The Academy of Urbanism, Founder Chairman, John Thompson & Partners
- ‘Designing new settlements within an existing larger community’—- Robert Adam, Director, ADAM Architecture
- ‘UK’s first eco-town: Northwest Bicester’— Gary Young, Partner, Farrells
- ‘Shaping cities: Rules of assembly that enable towns to evolve and grow’ —Roger Evans, Director, Studio REAL
- ‘Flexibility and connectivity: creative hub in Here East’—-Roger Hawkins, Founder Partner, Hawkins\Brown
- ‘Greentown’s ideal town practice: Changzhi Island’ —Anchuo Jiang, Managing Director, Zhoushan Greentown Real Estate Development Co., Ltd, Min He, Chief Architect/General Manager, Greentown 9m Architectural Design Co., Ltd
- ‘I’m not ageing, I’m evolving: designing for the Third Age of life’—Patrick Devlin, Partner,Pollard Thomas Edwards
- ‘The tale of towns and communities from two countries’ —-Gillian Horn, Partner, Penoyre & Prasad
Ticket price is £50 +VAT for the whole day conference and £25+VAT for the half day sessions. An early bird discount of 10% is available until 6th April.
Please click here to register.
For more information about this summit please click here.